Saturday, March 26, 2011

~stained petals~

The Legend of the Dogwood



In Jesus time, the dogwood grew
To a stately size and a lovely hue.
'Twas strong and firm it's branches interwoven
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.
Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:

Never again shall the dogwood grow
large enough to be used so
slender and twisted, it shall be
with blossoms like the cross for all to see.

please look closely (click to enlarge) at this picture - no editing was done on any of the shots
I was in awe of this picture when I looked at it for the first time on the computer.
~Notice the color of the petals underneath~

As blood stains the petals marked in brown
the blossom's center wears a throny crown.
All who see it will remember me
crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.
Cherished and protected this tree shall be
A reminder to all of my agony.   ~Unknown




But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
the chastisement of our peace was upon Him,
and with His stripes we are healed.  Isaiah 53:5

~~~
I am excited to be posting again and
 have enjoyed the break and visiting with family in Louisiana.
My computer was repaired after the lightning strike and none of my pictures were lost.  For the ones who have
left comments & e-mails thank you.  I treasure
friendships that have been made through Places of my Heart.










20 comments:

Joan Hall said...

Hi Karen:

I'm glad to see you posting again. I have heard about the dogwood legand before and I think of it each time I see the dogwoods bloom. Right now, they are in full bloom here in Texas. I hope to capture some photographs of them tomorrow.

Your photos are lovely!

Blessings,
Joan

Jessaca said...

beautiful photos and even more beautiful poem to go with the dogwood story.
Have a good one!!

Rebecca said...

Karen,

That poem is beautiful and the pictures are gorgeous to match! I just love the simplicity of your photos; I really, really do!

I just wanted you to know that I have a new blog home online. Come visit me. :)

Rebecca
[formerly My Bright Corner/Yellow Hope]

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Beautiful photos, I need to step off my porch and take a closer look at mine since they are in full bloom. Glad to see you back, I was wondering where you went off to.

Sue said...

Beautiful Karen, I saw some pink dogwood blooming today. I love the significance of this bloom. Welcome back, so glad you had a good time.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this tonight. My new Hispanic friend asked me today what the white blooming trees are. I explained about the dogwood and she was fascinated. She is a Christian but was not familiar with dogwood trees. I will share your blog post with her.

Glad to see you back from your break. Have a blessed Sunday.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I always love seeing the dogwood for this reason...and your pictures are just beautiful.
Welcome back and glad you had such a wonderful vacation.

elizabeth said...

I am so glad to have you back! This post is beautiful. I had never heard this about the dogwood before.
Thank you so much for your encouragement about my new blog for missionarie's moms. I have been working on setting it up.
Love to you!

Sandy said...

I enjoyed reading about the dogwood again. I
have always loved this legend.
Good to have you back!
Blessings~

Lori said...

So glad you are back in action. Missed you, we visited familly in Baton Rouge last week. So much fun! Dogwoods are one of my favorites, very hard to grow here in Texas.

Judy said...

Hi Karen,

I read this very story about Jesus' crucifixion and the dogwood on another blog. I never heard of this before. Is this really true? Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Blessings,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! I'm glad you're back and your computer is fixed and you didn't loose anything.
I love this story about the dogwood! I love the poem.
Yay! I'm so glad you're coming to my party! You can do it! Yes, you can!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debbie said...

I had heard the legend of the dogwood, but hearing it today with those pictures is beautiful. My computer is so tempermental that I dare not click to enlarge until I post this comment.

I'm glad you're back!
I hope to be "back" on Tuesday when I finish teaching for a while.

S. Etole said...

Exceptional photos ... and the legend is a good one.

Southern Lady said...

One of my favorite flowers and poems ... and your pictures are truly awesome, Karen.

Welcome back!

FrouFrouBritches said...

I love the legend of the dogwood! The pictures are amazing too. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful, both poem and photos!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words and images Karen.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Thank you for the story and your beautiful photos. I'm looking forward to seeing a few around our area sport their beauty.
hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Karen, glad you are back. I have never heard this about the dogwood. As always, your photos are beautiful!